As CFO, your responsibility is to guide your organization through business transformation to minimize risk and recognize opportunity. The latest transformation facing organizations of all sizes is the change from internally supported business management applications, including ERP (Enterprise Resource Planning), CRM (Customer Relationship Management) and LOB (Line of Business), to cloud based infrastructure and applications. (Warning: IT may not be objective about moving ERP to the cloud).
This following 35 questions are intended to guide you, the CFO, to ask educated questions as you consider moving your ERP solution to the cloud:
1. What is cloud computing?
2. What is IaaS, Infrastructure as a Service?
3. What is PaaS, Platform as a Service?
4. What is hosting?
5. What is SaaS, Software as a Service?
6. What is virtualization?
7. What is an MSP, Managed Service Provider?
8. What are the cost savings associated with moving ERP to the cloud?
9. How will cloud services affect the internal IT team?
10. How does a cloud ERP solution improve ability to scale?
11. Will my data be more secure in the cloud?
12. Is cloud ERP an effective business continuity strategy?
13. Will we be able to get all the reports we need from a cloud based ERP system?
14. Will cloud ERP work with Office and Outlook in the cloud?
15. As a startup, is a cloud ERP system more than we need?
16. Will company divisions in other countries be able to use the same ERP system?
17. Will employees working from home be able to access the system?
18. Will our IT team still need to upgrade the ERP application?
19. Does the cloud provide an opportunity to re-architect our systems?
20. Will we still be able to get help from our business consulting partners?
21. Will our data be secure from access by outsiders?
22. Will we still own our data?
23. What should I look for in an ERP cloud provider?
24. What if circumstances change and we want to bring ERP back in house?
25. Will a cloud based ERP system be able to integrate with the other line of business applications that we use?
26. Will the ERP system response time be as fast as it is on premises?
27. What if our internet connection goes down?
28. What if the cloud provider’s internet goes down?
29. Will our ISV solutions work with cloud based ERP?
30. What is SAS 70?
31. Can we be Sarbanes-Oxley compliant with an ERP system in the cloud?
32. Is cloud based ERP a good choice if we are thinking about going public someday?
33. What options do I have in licensing ERP software in the cloud?
34. Is the yearly maintenance fee included in the price?
35. What support services should I expect to receive as part of an ERP subscription?
Is cloud based ERP the right choice for your organization? For the full report, and answers to the above 35 questions, download the complete, “35 Questions Every CFO Needs to Ask About ERP Software in the Cloud.”