Business travel often appears glamorous to the untrained, but as a business traveler, you know the reality: It’s just another day at the office, no matter where that office is. However, when you take the time to look into the area, you may find that an unassuming midwestern town actually has some worthwhile attractions. While New Year’s has come and gone, you can still resolve to live better no matter where you go. We’ve compiled a list of tips to improve your time on the road.
A recent Skift article interviews other frequent travelers, highlighting ways to live better:
Make Time for Fun and Change Up Your Dinner Plans
Business travel can become bleak when it’s an endless circle of flight, hotel, meeting, repeat—which becomes even worse if you’ve visited the exact same restaurant, the past 11 times you’ve been in the city. Resolve to get out and see the cities to which you’re traveling.
Take time to enjoy your locale, whether that’s hitting as museum, trying the local fare, or getting in contact with a colleague.
There are a multitude of applications focused on providing an authentic experience, no matter where you are in the world.
- Search for food by dish, not restaurant with FoodSpotting
- See the best-rated places in your area with Citymaps
- Set up local feeds and find interesting shops, restaurants, museums, and more with Field Trip
- Find reviews of hotels, restaurants, and tourist attractions with TripAdvisor
- Find tours or activities with the Viator mobile app
Keep Calm and Stay Fit
Combining the common resolutions live healthier and lose weight, business travelers are often on the move and miss workouts. Whether that’s on the paths, in the parks, at the gym or in your hotel, staying rested and in shape can help you live happier on the go.
- Find and rent a bicycle with Spokefly or Spinlister
- Map your ride or run and find a good route with Endomondo
- Save yourself sleepless flights and nights with JetLag Genie
- Make every workout minute count, even if you don’t have a gym around with 7 minute workout
- Bring Mindfulness to life with convenient meditation app buddhify
You carry a lot of important information with you. Protect it. Change your passwords, enable two-factor authentication, and avoid public Wi-Fi. If you’re traveling internationally, keep all of the emergency information you need at your fingertips as well.
- TravelSafe provides you common local emergency numbers and embassy contacts if you are traveling internationally.
- If you must use public Wi-Fi, utilize a VPN to protect your data. BestVPN offered a breakdown, as well as monthly pricing and reviews of popular VPNs for users.
- Save files to SmartVault for easy access and bank-level security.
It will cause you less stress, help you save time, and could help you enjoy your business travel just a bit more if you can stay organized on the go.
- Pack for the occasion by getting recommendations based on length of travel, weather conditions, and more with PackPoint Packing List Travel Companion
- Navigate your airport more easily with GateGuru
Improve Your Relationships (with Your Travel Manager)
Building and maintaining relationships is an important facet of the life of a business traveler. The same goes for your relationship with your corporate travel manager. He or she just wants your expense reports turned in accurately, in compliance with policy, and on time.
Concur Travel and Expense Management can help you to save time and to reduce your workload in reporting to your travel manager, while helping him or her to reduce the amount of time spent chasing other business travelers down for out-of-policy or unfiled expense reports. Learn more about how you as a business traveler can recommend ways for your organization to save even more time and money with Concur through the following resources:
Travel Expense Management and Accounting Integration Infographic
Learn how you can take your savings gained by using Concur Expense further by integrating it with your choice of accounting software—Microsoft Dynamics GP, Microsoft Dynamics SL, or Intacct. The following Infographic shows you just how much this simple integration can benefit your business.