You’ve undoubtedly heard the horror stories of botched data migration and the disastrous effects it can have on ERP implementations. Some businesses are so terrified of the process that they remain prisoners to their ill-fitting, work-around accounting software, when what they need is an integrated business management solution.
Data migration doesn’t have to be a nightmare, though. With careful selection of your ERP implementation partner, strategic data migration can ensure the smooth transfer of information from your legacy software to your new system. Following are ways to optimize the data migration process.
- Assign roles and resources – Data migration is a sizable undertaking, even for small companies. Make sure you have dedicated the time and staff to see it through from start to finish.
- Identify data for migration – Not all of your organization’s data is critical. Focus only on master record data, such as customers, products, and key account information. Transactional data will only get in the way.
- Structure your new system – With your business’s requirements in mind, configure your new system accordingly. Your ERP implementation partner will guide you through this process.
- Export and import data – Take it out and put it in. Keep in mind that some data may require reformatting prior to importing. Data quality is a determining factor, here, so check for any inconsistencies or errors.
- Test, test, test – Hidden glitches and quirks must be discovered before your ERP software is up and running. Test, test again, and then run a few more tests. You’ll be thankful you did.
Data migration, when given the focus, resources, and testing it deserves, can pave the way to an efficient, productive, and profitable business management software solution. Contact Brittenford Systems if you’d like to learn more about Microsoft Dynamics solutions and how we can help you migrate your data smoothly and painlessly.