Last month, Microsoft announced its newest Microsoft Dynamics release, Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016. Expected to be generally available starting May 1, 2016, Microsoft product leader Pam Misialek began to introduce readers to the new platform on the Inside Microsoft Dynamics GP Blog, in a pre-release series to highlight new functionality—Feature of the Day.
Following our introductory blog on the Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016, we promised to highlight the new features announced in the Feature of the Day series.
1. Budget Import Exception Report
Announced April 7, 2016: Budget Import Exception Report
When importing a budget from Excel, an exception report will print displaying accounts that aren’t setup in Dynamics GP.
2. Ease of use Payroll Posting Accounts Setup
To help making organization, import, and export of payroll information easier, one of the new features in Dynamics GP 2016 is the Ease of use Payroll Posting Accounts Setup. This feature allows you to:
- See all posting accounts in a navigation list
- Easily filter and sort accounts with navigation list functionality
- Export and Import payroll posting accounts using Microsoft Excel
See more on the Inside Microsoft Dynamics GP blog, Ease of use Payroll Posting Accounts Setup.
3. Dynamics GP HTML Web Client
Announced March 23, 2016: Dynamics GP HTML Web Client
Enjoy support for Microsoft Dynamics GP via your favorite browser using whichever device you choose. Available for IE, Chrome, Safari, Firefox and Edge on Windows, iPad, Android devices, the Web Client is designed to provide access on the road, on vacation, or wherever you need to be.
- New controls created for HTML client
- UI changes
- Window/Report Search (more below)
- Office “banner”
- Navigation, color, etc.
4. Web Client Search
Announced March 25, 2016: Web Client Search in GP
Working in the GP web client is meant to make your time using the software easier. To help you stay organized, one of the important features in the web client is a search function to view reports or windows in said web client:
- Shows a list of all open windows and reports based on search criteria
- Shows a list of all windows and reports and the navigation based on search criteria
- Ability to close all open windows at once.
5. Sales All in One Document Viewer
Announced March 25, 2016: Sales All in One Document Viewer
Bringing all of the sales documents together in one place, the Sales AIO Document view does exactly that—provides an all-in-one document view:
- View all related sales documents for a single transaction in one window
- Accessible from Customer Maintenance, many sales inquiry windows, navigation lists and the home page
6. Inventory All in One Document View
Announced March 29, 2016: All in One Document Viewer Inventory
Doing what the Sales AIO Document viewer does for sales documents, Inventory AIO Document View allows you to:
- View quantity in and quantity out transactions for one item in one window
- Accessible from Item Maintenance, many item inquiry windows, navigation lists and the home page
7. Excel Export as Numbers
Announced April 4, 2016: Excel Export as Numbers
Some Dynamics GP users may be surprised to learn that exporting numbers to Excel as numbers (as opposed to text) wasn’t possible in older Dynamics GP releases and a few users will be glad to see this feature introduced. It’s another way Microsoft is working to make Dynamics GP more flexible and easy to use. Numbers exported from Excel will be formatted as a number, not text.
8. Inactive Pay Codes Lookup
Announced April 5, 2016: Inactive Pay Codes Lookup Option
You will now be able to look up inactive pay codes:
- Option to exclude inactive pay codes from the pay codes lookup
- Works for Employee Pay Codes Lookup and the Pay Codes lookup window
9. Project Accounting Document Attach
Announced March 30, 2016: Project Accounting Document Attach
Allowing you the ability to attach receipts to PTE Employee Expense and Employee Expense Entry, this will make attachment, approval, and payment easier for employee expenses.
- Use the Document Attachment feature in PTE Employee Expenses and Employee Expense Entry
- Header and line attachments such as receipts can now be added to an employee expense
- Attachments will flow from PTE to Project Accounting to Payables
10. Project Accounting on Requisitions
Announced March 29, 2016: Project Accounting on Requisitions
Simplifying the project accounting workflow, the ability to add project accounting expense fields in the requisition entry will result in more accurately tracked costs:
- Project Number and Cost Category ID fields available in Purchase Requisition Entry window
- Requisitions with project and cost category can still go through workflow process
- Project and cost category will flow to Purchase Order
Prepare Yourself for Dynamics GP 2016
With over 35 new features, Microsoft Dynamics GP 2016 is tailored to the needs of end users and managers. With many of the features recommended by users, this update will hopefully provide you an easier experience. Learn more about GP 2016, pay attention to the Feature of the Day announcements on the Inside Microsoft Dynamics GP blog, and stay tuned for more blogs highlighting the new features in Dynamics GP 2016.
Want to learn more? Contact Brittenford today!